A Prophetic War of the Ages – Ezekiel 38 – 39
GOD warns Iran (Persia), with Russia (Magog), and a coalition of allies (including Turkey, Libya, Sudan)will go to war and will invade Israel. In Ezekiel 38-39 the Bible warns this coming war between Iran (Persia) and Israel will take place sometime after Israel has been re-gathered into Her land as a nation (which was fulfilled on May 14, 1948) … this prophetic war has never yet taken place … the only time in history Persia (Iran) has ever gone to war against Israel was to help Israel throw off the yoke of the Byzantine Empire around 614 AD.
THIS WAR will be unlike any other war in history … this war will unleash a series of IRREVERSIBLE events which will change the world forever. God has set aside two whole chapters in the Bible to warn Mankind of this coming war …
THE BIBLE warns the US will NOT defend Israel. According to the Bible, Israel must stand alone … with God. For when this coming war does finally start, the United States will be unwilling (or unable) to help Israel defend herself. Even though the Bible warns the invading armies will be ultimately destroyed by God, it will be a devastating war for both Israel and the whole world. Bible scholars are divided as to whether this coming war is part of the prophetic battle of Armageddon or will just precede Armageddon in order to prepare a path for the Antichrist (a coming World Leader who will enforce a Peace Plan (“covenant”) upon Israel) which will trigger the final prophetic 7-Year period of time which God has set aside for Israel and the World which is sometimes called the “Apocalypse” …
ALL MANKIND should be sitting on the edge of their seats with white knuckles watching this terrible prophecy slowly start to unfold … while those who call themselves Christians (followers … both Jew and Gentile … of Jesus (Yeshua), the promised Messiah) are told to “examine” themselves in the Word and in their faith to insure they are not just ‘almost’ Christians (Matthew 7:21-23) who are “lukewarm” in their faith in Jesus (Yeshua) and God’s Word (Revelation 3:14-16) … for Jesus warns all to, “Watch, therefore, and pray always (not just sometimes), that you will be counted worthy (through His worthiness) to escapeall these things (the terrible events of the coming ‘Apocalypse’) that will come to pass” … (Luke 21:36) … for the Bible promises believing Christians (faithful and sincere believers in Jesus Christ (Yeshua Ha’Mashiach in Hebrew) who are alive at that time and have endured in their faith in God’s Word are not“appointed” to this coming time of “God’s wrath” that will be “poured out” upon the “whole world”… (1 Thessalonians 1:10 … 1 Thessalonians 5:9-11)
NOTES for Passage Interpretation in Ezekiel 38:1-10
- Meshech and Tubal are in and around TURKEY
- Gog is a powerful human or dark-angelic leader behind Russia
- “Hooks into your jaws…” could be Israel’s new gas fields, a mutual defense treaty, or UN effort?
- Tubal is Turkey
- The land of Magog is translated ‘Scythia’ in Greek … the area of modern day RUSSIA
- Swords = weapons
- Iran is listed first, meaning it will be the ‘lead’ ally and Ethiopia (Sudan …”Cush”), and Libya (northern Africa) are with them
- Gomer and all its troops implies the nations of Germany-France, eastern Europe, or “Galatia”- Turkey
- The house of Togarmah from the far north is Armenia
- Many people are with you implies NATO member Turkey will join this coalition
- …Companies that are gathered about you; and be a guard for them. This implies that Russia will act as a “guard” … and supplier of weapons
- “After many days” means that this would happen far from Ezekiel’s time
- “…you (Russia-Iran-Turkey) will invade a land that has recovered from war, (Israel!) – This war will take place after Israel became a nation in 1948) they (the children of Israel) were brought OUT of the nations
Ezekiel 38:1-10 . . .
The word of the Lord came to me: 2 “Son of man, set your face against Gog, of the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshek and Tubal; prophesy against him 3 and say: ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: I am against you, Gog, chief prince of Meshek and Tubal. 4 I will turn you around, put hooks in your jaws and bring you out with your whole army—your horses, your horsemen fully armed, and a great horde with large and small shields, all of them brandishing their swords.5 Persia, Cush and Put will be with them, all with shields and helmets,6 also Gomer with all its troops, and Beth Togarmah from the far northwith all its troops—the many nations with you.
7 “‘Get ready; be prepared, you and all the hordes gathered about you, and take command of them. 8 After many days you will be called to arms. In future years you will invade a land that has recovered from war, whose people were gathered from many nations to the mountains of Israel, which had long been desolate. They had been brought out from the nations, and now all of them live in safety. 9 You and all your troops and the many nations with you will go up, advancing like a storm; you will be like a cloud covering the land.
10 “‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: On that day thoughts will come into your mind and you will devise an evil scheme.
The Bible warns Russia will also act as a GUARD (including weapons) for Iran and their allies …
- “Prepare yourself (Russia – “Magog”) and be ready,
- you (Russia) and all your companies (allies) that are gathered about you;and be a GUARD for them.” (“Them” is Iran, Turkey, and the other allies listed) (Ezekiel 38:7)
A “guard” protects, defends, blocks threats of “international sanctions”… and provides weapons, technology, intelligence, command, and control … and often stays quietly hidden in the shadows until the time is right.
NOTES for Passage Interpretation in Ezekiel 38:11-17
- You (the one who leads Russia) will say
- “I will invade a land of unwalled villages;” – note that the cities in Israel are no longer ‘walled’
- “I will plunder and loot” shows that greed, envy, and arrogance will fuel this invasion
- “the resettled ruins and the people gathered from the nations”(Israel today!)
- Sheba (Saudi Arabia), Dedan (Kuwait), (Saudi Arabia and Kuwait will not join this invasion) the merchants of Tarshish (may be England), and all their young lions (may be former colonies like Canada, Australia, and the US) will say to you, ‘Have you come to plunder? (Greed, envy, and arrogance will fuel this invasion …)
- “You will come from your place in the far north, you and many nations with you” Note that Russia now claims the Arctic and North Pole as theirs … and is deploying forces to defend it
- “In days to come, Gog, I will bring you against my land” is a note to Russia that they will be used to come against God! This is a scary proposition for Russia and it seems that if your nation was named explicitly in the Bible, you would want to depart that region of the world in repentance and in constant prayer for forgiveness.
Ezekiel 38:11-17 . . .
11 You will say, “I will invade a land of unwalled villages; I will attack a peaceful and unsuspecting people—all of them living without walls and without gates and bars. 12 I will plunder and loot and turn my hand against the resettled ruins and the people gathered from the nations, rich in livestock and goods, living at the center of the land.” 13 Sheba and Dedan and the merchants of Tarshish and all her villages will say to you, “Have you come to plunder? Have you gathered your hordes to loot, to carry off silver and gold, to take away livestock and goods and to seize much plunder?”’
14 “Therefore, son of man, prophesy and say to Gog: ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: In that day, when my people Israel are living in safety, will you not take notice of it? 15 You will come from your place in the far north, you and many nations with you, all of them riding on horses, a great horde, a mighty army. 16 You will advance against my people Israel like a cloud that covers the land. In days to come, Gog, I will bring you against my land, so that the nations may know me when I am proved holy through you before their eyes.
17 “‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: You are the one I spoke of in former days by my servants the prophets of Israel. At that time they prophesied for years that I would bring you against them.
NOTES for Passage Interpretation in Ezekiel 38:18-23
- “Every man’s sword will be against his brother.” These armies will turn against themselves. We have seen this exact scenario play out within the Old Testament in the passages of 2 Chronicles 20. In the specific passages verse 22-24 we read the following: 22 As they sang and praised, the Eternal was ready to cause great confusion in battle for the men from Ammon, Moab, and Mount Seir (in Edom) who had come to attack Judah. They were utterly defeated,turning on one another. 23 The Ammonites and Moabites attacked the men from Mount Seir, destroying them completely. Then, the Ammonites and Moabites turned on each other. 24 When all was quiet, Judah looked out of the watchtower in the wilderness and saw a great army of corpses fallen on the battlefield. No one had escaped.
- “I will pour down torrents of rain, hailstones and burning sulfur on him and on his troops and on the many nations with him.” – These armies will be destroyed by God!
18 This is what will happen in that day: When Gog attacks the land of Israel, my hot anger will be aroused, declares the Sovereign Lord. 19 In my zeal and fiery wrath I declare that at that time there shall be a great earthquake in the land of Israel. 20 The fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the beasts of the field, every creature that moves along the ground, and all the people on the face of the earth will tremble at my presence. The mountains will be overturned, the cliffs will crumble and every wall will fall to the ground. 21 I will summon a sword against Gog on all my mountains, declares the Sovereign Lord. Every man’s sword will be against his brother. 22 I will execute judgment on him with plague and bloodshed; I will pour down torrents of rain, hailstones and burning sulfur on him and on his troops and on the many nations with him. 23 And so I will show my greatness and my holiness, and I will make myself known in the sight of many nations. Then they will know that I am the Lord.’
We are not sure exactly when this attack/invasion will take place … but, from current news headlines, it looks as though it is now getting very close. As noted above, if you study your history books you will find the only time in history Iran (Persia) has invaded Israel was in 614 AD, and this invasion was to help Israel break the yoke of the Byzantine Empire.
The current threats of war Iran is making against Israel represent the first time in history the world has seen the imminent fulfillment of this prophecy. Add the fact Russia is fully backing Iran, and Turkey is quickly turning against Israel, and all of these nations either are, or soon will be, armed with nuclear weapons, you will find the world may soon be facing this terrible prophetic war . . .
The invading armies will be utterly destroyed . . . by GOD!!!
In Ezekiel 39 the Bible goes on to warn the invading armies will be utterly destroyed … by GOD! Also in Ezekiel 39 there are hints this coming war may go nuclear because Israel will wait months to enter the battlefield after the battle, they will “set apart men regularly employed” (professionals) to bury the dead, and later if a bone is spotted it is to be “marked” for the professionals to bury (exactly the same procedures that are now found in our military nuclear/biological/chemical “battlefield cleanup” manuals today) … the aftermath of this invasion will be very, very gruesome.
This battle will happen before the battle of Armageddon and will set the stage for the coming “Antichrist” (who will rise over 10 nations which were part of the Roman Empire) to fill the world power vacuum that will be left after this coming war …
The United States will be “neutralized” sometime before this attack and will be unwilling or unable to help defend Israel, for the Bible warns Israel must stand alone … with God!
More importantly, the blessed prophetic event called “The Rapture” must take place sometime before God intervenes in this coming battle …
Please do not ignore these Bible prophecies . . .
Many people will simply yawn and ignore these Bible prophecies and the headlines we are now seeing.
Yet, God does NOT fulfill His prophecies or prophetic warnings in secret, but so all the world can see.
For many years now a number of Bible prophecy teachers and scholars have been warning the one piece of the puzzle missing was for Turkey (a NATO ally-nation) to turn toward Russia and Iran and against Israel (as this prophecy predicts, and we are now seeing.)
The world has waited over 2,500 years to see the headlines we are now seeing …
This prophetic war between Iran and Israel has never yet taken place … and it is very much a part of the coming “Apocalypse” and Armageddon scenario.
God has been warning and preparing this generation for this coming war for well over 10 years … and the headlines concerning this coming war can now be found almost daily all around the world.
God is trying to get our attention and to draw those who are His back to Him before it is too late. With open arms and with tears of joy God promises to welcome and to shelter and comfort ALL who will come to Him before these events take place (or before their earthly bodies die) … yet, the Bible warns God will not mourn, nor have mercy, on those who reject and ignore and mock His Word and His warnings.
Please share the Gospel message of Jesus Christ with joy and love and kindness for these are the last days and we must be about our Father’s business.
Blessings in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior!